The easiest way to get more affordable auto insurance rates in Jacksonville is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers in Florida. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
First, get an understanding of how companies set rates and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that drive up the price like careless driving and an imperfect credit score can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Continue reading for more ideas to help keep rates affordable and get additional discounts.
Second, compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of companies. Find a Jacksonville insurance agent
Third, compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save money, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The critical component of shopping around is to use similar coverage information on each quote and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a good representation of prices.
Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don't want you to compare rates. People who compare rates once a year will most likely buy a new policy because of the good chance of finding lower prices. A study showed that people who compared rates regularly saved $865 a year as compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If finding budget-friendly insurance is why you're here, then having a grasp of how to find companies and compare insurance rates can save time, money, and frustration.
If you have a policy now, you will surely be able to get lower rates using the techniques presented in this article. Buying the cheapest insurance in Jacksonville is much easier if you have a good place to start. But Florida car owners do need to learn how the larger insurance companies calculate their prices and use it to your advantage.
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from many auto insurance companies in Florida. The simplest method to find the lowest Tesla Model S rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online.
It's so easy to compare quotes online that it makes it a waste of time to call or drive to insurance agents' offices. The internet makes this unnecessary unless you require the professional guidance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. It is possible to get the lowest quotes online and still use a local agent.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing all the rates in your area increases the chance that you will find lower pricing. Not every company does online rate quotes, so you also need to get prices from the smaller companies as well.
The providers in the list below provide free quotes in Florida. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you compare several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Auto insurance does more than just protect your car
Even though it can be expensive, paying for auto insurance is required in Florida but it also protects you in many ways.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Tesla has a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will force you to have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your Tesla for a lot more money and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your Tesla Model S but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Tesla gets damaged, your auto insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your car more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays more than $800 each year so shop around once a year at a minimum to save money.
Cheaper Jacksonville insurance rates with discounts
Insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but there could be significant discounts that many people don't even know exist. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but occasionally some discounts must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Payment Discounts - By paying your entire bill at once rather than paying in monthly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Life Insurance Discount - Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Having all your vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- First Accident Forgiveness - This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies will forgive one accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Senior Citizens - If you're over the age of 55, you may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don't apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, you're out of luck.
A partial list of companies that may have some of the discounts shown above include:
Double check with each company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not apply in every state. For a list of companies who offer insurance discounts in Jacksonville, follow this link.
Insurance agent or online?
Some consumers just want to visit with an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is you may find better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to companies in Jacksonville that can provide free Jacksonville auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to find an agent because prices are sent to your email. Get lower rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Jacksonville?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
Auto insurance agents in Jacksonville come in two varieties
If you are wanting to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you should know the different agency structures and how they can service your needs differently. Auto insurance agencies are either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only write with one company such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company's prices so keep that in mind. They are highly trained on sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Jacksonville that can give you rate quotes.
Chris Nickas - State Farm Insurance Agent
9542 Argyle Forest Blvd #12 - Jacksonville, FL 32222 - (904) 854-4700 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not employed by one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you can keep the same agent.
When comparing auto insurance prices, it's a good idea to contact multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Shown below is a short list of independent agents in Jacksonville that are able to give rate quotes.
Situations that may require an agent's advice
When selecting a policy for your personal vehicles, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. You are unique and your insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions can help discover if your situation may require specific advice.
- What are the best liability limits?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- When should I remove my kid from my policy?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Insurance policy specifics
Having a good grasp of your insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverages found on most insurance policies.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage covers damage to your Model S caused by collision with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things like crashing into a ditch, colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb and scraping a guard rail. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Model S to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like theft, fire damage, hail damage and damage from getting keyed. The most a insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
This coverage gives you protection when the "other guys" are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Tesla Model S.
Since many Florida drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (Florida limits are 10/20/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Medical costs insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for immediate expenses such as pain medications, ambulance fees, dental work and prosthetic devices. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers you and your occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Auto liability insurance
Liability coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property. It protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 10/20/10 that means you have a limit of $10,000 per injured person, $20,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $10,000.
Liability coverage protects against things like attorney fees, emergency aid and funeral expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Florida requires minimum liability limits of 10/20/10 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
The next chart shows why minimum state limits may not be enough.
Persistence will pay off
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
A few companies do not offer online rate quotes and many times these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agencies. Cheaper Tesla Model S insurance in Jacksonville is definitely available on the web and from local agencies, so you need to compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
More information is available at the links below
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Jacksonville Car Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- How Much is Jacksonville Car Insurance for Inexperienced Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Civic in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Jacksonville Auto Insurance for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- How Much is Jacksonville Car Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Jacksonville Auto Insurance for Teenage Males? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Jacksonville Car Insurance Quotes for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)