It's well known that car insurance companies don't want you to look for cheaper rates. People who shop around for better prices will probably switch auto insurance companies because they stand a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that drivers who compared rates once a year saved as much as $860 a year compared to policyholders who never compared other company's rates.
If finding the cheapest price for auto insurance in Jacksonville is why you're reading this, then having a grasp of how to get rate quotes and compare coverage rates can save time and make the process easier.
The best way we recommend to find better pricing on Chevy Equinox insurance in Jacksonville is to do a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Florida.
Step 1: Take a little time to learn about individual coverages and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that result in higher prices like accidents, traffic tickets, and an imperfect credit rating can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for more ideas to get affordable coverage and find additional discounts.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if you can save on Equinox insurance. If you find better rates and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key aspect of shopping around is to use similar coverage information on every price quote and and to get rates from every insurance company. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and the best price quote selection.
The companies in the list below provide comparison quotes in Jacksonville, FL. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can to find the most competitive auto insurance rates.
Chevy Equinox insurance statistics and information
The premium information displayed next showcases a range of rate quotes for Chevy Equinox models. Learning as much as possible about how policy rates are calculated can be useful when making smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Equinox LS 2WD||$308||$636||$472||$28||$142||$1,586||$132|
|Equinox LT 2WD||$308||$636||$472||$28||$142||$1,586||$132|
|Equinox LS AWD||$308||$636||$472||$28||$142||$1,586||$132|
|Equinox LT AWD||$308||$636||$472||$28||$142||$1,586||$132|
|Equinox LTZ 2WD||$348||$748||$472||$28||$142||$1,738||$145|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$348||$748||$472||$28||$142||$1,738||$145|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$348||$748||$472||$28||$142||$1,738||$145|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in your specific Jacksonville location which can impact coverage prices noticeably.
Bad driving habits will cost you more
The diagram below shows how violations and accidents can impact Chevy Equinox premium costs for different age categories. The data assumes a married male driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Equinox car insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage. The data is based on no claims or driving violations, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no written rule for excluding full coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Chevy Equinox replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If it's costing in excess of $200 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few cases where eliminating full coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Chevy Equinox in Jacksonville, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Chevy Equinox, almost all lenders will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your Chevy and your personal assets. It will also cover all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your insurance policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so it's recommended you shop around once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
How Your Equinox Insurance Costs are Determined
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that help calculate your policy premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can earn you lower premium levels.
The factors shown below are some of the items that factor into premiums.
- High credit saves on car insurance - An insured's credit history is a big factor in determining premium rates. If your credit rating leaves room for improvement, you may save money insuring your Chevrolet Equinox by spending a little time repairing your credit. People that have very high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower ratings.
- Always keep your car insurance policy in force - Driving without insurance coverage in place can get you a ticket and any future policy may cost more because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You will then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Florida department of motor vehicles.
- Consider raising coverage deductibles - The deductibles define how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. Protection for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be rear-ending another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by road hazards. The more you have to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Premiums are lower the older you get - Teenage drivers in Florida tend to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving with friends therefore car insurance rates are much higher. More mature drivers are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and receive fewer citations.
The chart below is based on a single driver, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Marriage pays dividends - Walking down the aisle may earn you lower rates on your car insurance bill. Having a significant other may mean you are more mature and responsible and insurance companies like that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Your gender affects prices - The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn't mean males are worse at driving than females. Men and women tend to get into at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but guys cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Not only that, but men also get higher numbers of serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI).
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Equinox premium costs for male and female drivers. The information is based on no claims or driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied.
- City traffic equals higher premiums - Residing in areas with lower population has it's advantages when shopping for auto insurance. Residents of big cities have more auto accidents and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims.
Chevy Equinox statistical loss data - Insurers use past insurance losses when they calculate premium prices for each model. Vehicles that the statistics show to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have increased rates. The table below outlines the historical loss data for Chevy Equinox vehicles.
For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is equal to 100. Percentages below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while percentages above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Equinox Models Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Equinox 4dr 2WD 82 86 74 101 104 93 Chevrolet Equinox 4dr 4WD 84 88 85 89 93 81BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Affordable Jacksonville car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you may be missing some discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers who don't have accidents have much lower rates as compared to bad drivers.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Just owning your own home can save a few bucks because maintaining a house is proof of financial responsibility.
- Multi-line Discount - Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy life insurance.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more on Equinox insurance in Jacksonville.
- Early Signing - Some companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to your current Equinox insurance policy expiring. The savings is around 10%.
- Drive Less and Save - Low mileage vehicles can earn lower prices on the low mileage vehicles.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Drivers who insure all your vehicles on the same car insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Theft Prevention System - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like it's possible to get free car insurance, it's just not the way it works.
The chart below shows the comparison of Chevy Equinox car insurance costs with and without discounts applied. The costs are based on a female driver, no claims or driving violations, Florida state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-car discounts applied.
Companies and their possible discounts include:
- 21st Century offers discounts for air bags, 55 and older, theft prevention, anti-lock brakes, and defensive driver.
- State Farm has savings for Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, anti-theft, multiple autos, good student, driver's education, and safe vehicle.
- AAA may offer discounts for education and occupation, pay-in-full, good student, anti-theft, and good driver.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for multi-car, newly retired, exclusive group savings, new move discount, preferred payment discount, and hybrid vehicle.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, online signing, and online quote discount.
If you are trying to find affordable Jacksonville car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company how you can save money. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in every state.
Everyone needs different insurance coverages
When choosing coverage, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you might need an agent's assistance.
- When should I drop full coverage on my Chevy Equinox?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- What is the minimum liability in Florida?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It's fast, free and may give you better protection.
Independent and exclusive insurance agents
Many drivers would prefer to buy from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Professional insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting small agencies is important particularly in Jacksonville.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Jacksonville that provide free Jacksonville car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you just need to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
The following is a short list of insurers in Jacksonville that may be willing to give price quote information for Chevy Equinox insurance in Jacksonville.
Choosing a provider shouldn't rely on just a low price. Any agent in Jacksonville should have no problem answering these questions:
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- How long has their agency been open in Jacksonville?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
After talking to the agent and getting reasonable responses to all your questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you've probably found an insurance company that meets the requirements to service your policy.
Quote more to save more
Cheaper insurance in Jacksonville can be purchased online as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not offer price quotes online and most of the time these smaller providers sell through independent agencies.
As you prepare to switch companies, don't be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford.
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like delays in responding to claim requests, poor customer service, high prices and even policy cancellation. Whatever your reason, switching insurance companies can be less work than you think.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Teenage Females in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Teenagers in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Jacksonville Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Optima? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Low Credit Scores in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Subaru Impreza in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)