Sadly, nearly 70% of consumers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for more than four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. Drivers in Florida could pocket 55% a year, but they just don't want to shop around.
The preferred way to get more affordable auto insurance rates in Jacksonville is to compare quotes annually from different companies who can sell car insurance in Florida. Rates can be compared by completing these steps.
Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that drive up the price like traffic tickets, fender benders, and a lousy credit rating can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies. Find a Jacksonville insurance agent
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if cheaper Ion coverage is available in Jacksonville. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
Step 4: Tell your current agent or company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application for the new coverage. As soon as you receive it, keep the new proof of insurance paperwork in your glove compartment.
One thing to point out is to compare identical coverages on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and a complete rate analysis.
You Can Change Your Insurance Premiums
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you understand what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to cheaper rates.
Shown below are a few of the "ingredients" used by companies to determine rates.
High deductibles cost less - The deductibles you choose define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be colliding with a stationary object, damage from fire, and having a roll-over accident. The more of the claim you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the better rate you will receive.
If you don't need it don't buy it - Insurance policies have a lot of extra bells and whistles that you can buy on your Ion policy. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage are probably not needed. These may sound like a good investment initially, but if you have no use for them consider taking them off your policy.
Liability limits are a factor - Your auto insurance policy's liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if ever a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. It will provide legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Lower performance equals lower insurance costs - The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. The lowest base rates are generally reserved for economy passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
The following companies offer price comparisons in Jacksonville, FL. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you click on several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
Three main reasons to buy auto insurance
Despite the high insurance cost for a Saturn Ion in Jacksonville, insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Ion has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will force you to have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Saturn for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Saturn. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your Saturn gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in Florida overpays more than $830 a year so compare rates at every renewal to save money.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates for Saturn Ion insurance in Jacksonville
Some insurance providers don't list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Options like air bags may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Senior Discount - Mature drivers may be able to get lower premium rates.
- Membership in Organizations - Having an affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums when getting a Jacksonville car insurance quote.
- Discount for Good Grades - Maintaining excellent grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- Drive Safe and Save - Drivers who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Jacksonville car insurance quote than their less cautious counterparts.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
It's important to understand that most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will lower the cost of coverage.
Some companies that possibly offer most of these discounts are:
Before buying, ask all the companies the best way to save money. Discounts may not apply to policyholders in your state. To choose companies who offer free Saturn Ion insurance quotes in Jacksonville, follow this link.
Local insurance agents
Many drivers just want to visit with an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Professional insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. And providing support for local insurance agencies is important especially in Jacksonville.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, the coverage information is sent to participating agents in Jacksonville who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't need to contact any agents because prices are sent to you. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from a reliable insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Jacksonville agents can either be independent agents or exclusive agents. Both types of agents can write policy coverage, but it's worth learning the difference in how they write coverage since it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies through many companies and get you the best rates possible. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rate quotes, you should always include multiple independent agents to maximize your price options. Many write coverage with smaller regional carriers which may provide better rates.
Listed below is a partial list of independent agents in Jacksonville who may be able to give you cheap rate quotes.
- All Lines Insurance Agency
4828 Blanding Blvd Suite 1 - Jacksonville, FL 32210 - (904) 376-7200 - View Map
- Frye Insurance Agency, Inc.
1851 University Blvd S - Jacksonville, FL 32216 - (888) 812-2985 - View Map
- Jim White Insurance Agency
1840 Dunn Ave #6 - Jacksonville, FL 32218 - (904) 751-2222 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with like American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are trained well on their company's products which can be an advantage. Some consumers prefer to use the same agent mainly due to the prominent brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in Jacksonville who can help you get price quote information.
- Sam Maimone - State Farm Insurance Agent
12620 Beach Blvd #8 - Jacksonville, FL 32246 - (904) 641-6844 - View Map
- Bill Pool - State Farm Insurance Agent
7025 Normandy Blvd - Jacksonville, FL 32205 - (904) 781-3800 - View Map
- Kim Lego - State Farm Insurance Agent
13820 Old St Augustine Rd #401 - Jacksonville, FL 32258 - (904) 268-9900 - View Map
Deciding on an insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
When do I need an agent's advice?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no "perfect" insurance plan. Every insured's situation is different.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Is my trailer covered?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- What is the minimum liability in Florida?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Compare but don't skimp
When searching for cheaper Jacksonville car insurance quotes, don't be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed collision coverage only to regret that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
Cost effective Saturn Ion insurance can be sourced on the web and also from your neighborhood Jacksonville agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some car insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies work with independent agencies.
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as high prices, delays in responding to claim requests, not issuing a premium refund or even high rates after DUI convictions. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is less work than it seems.
Other learning opportunities
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Jacksonville Car Insurance for Police Officers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 21 in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Jacksonville Car Insurance for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Jacksonville Auto Insurance for State Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford F-150 in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Low Credit Scores in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)