It's well known that auto insurance companies don't want customers comparing rates. Insureds who shop around for the cheapest rate are highly likely to switch companies because the odds are good of finding lower rate quotes. A recent study showed that people who shopped around annually saved over $850 each year as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on car insurance in Jacksonville is your objective, then learning a little about how to find companies and compare coverage rates can make it easier for you to save money.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to find lower priced auto insurance rates in Jacksonville is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers in Florida.
- Take a little time to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that drive up the price such as your driving record and an imperfect credit rating can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes for many different companies. View a list of agents
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available in Jacksonville. If you find a lower rate, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new policy. Once the application is submitted, place your new proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One important bit of advice is to try to compare identical deductibles and limits on each quote request and and to get price estimates from as many carriers as you can. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and a thorough price selection.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to find the best rates using the ideas you're about to read. Shopping around for the best auto insurance coverage in Jacksonville is not as difficult as people think. Nevertheless, Florida vehicle owners do need to know how insurance companies price online insurance and use this information to your advantage.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates for Acura RLX insurance in Jacksonville
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but companies offer discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Certain credits will be shown at the time you complete a quote, but some need to be specially asked for prior to getting the savings.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying a new car instead of a used RLX can save you some money because newer vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Early Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Senior Citizens - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for better auto insurance rates.
- Multi-car Discount - Insuring more than one vehicle on the same auto insurance policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the medical payments premium.
- Clubs and Organizations - Being a member of certain professional organizations may earn a discount on your bill.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Safety Course Discount - Passing a safe driver class is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
Just know that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
A partial list of companies who might offer most of the discounts above include:
When comparing rates, check with every company what discounts are available to you. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in your state. For a list of insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Jacksonville, follow this link.
There are several ways to compare rate quotes from many available auto insurance companies in Florida. The best method to find the lowest rates is to use the internet to compare rates.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing a wide range of rates will increase your chances of finding better pricing.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in Florida. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get the most competitive price.
How to know if you need help
When quoting and comparing a policy, there is no one size fits all plan. Your needs are unique to you and your car insurance should unique, too. Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you could use an agent's help.
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer's policy when using it for work?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Acura RLX?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Do I need an insurance agent?
Certain consumers would rather get advice from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision A good thing about comparing insurance online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from neighborhood agents is definitely important in Jacksonville.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the quote information is instantly submitted to companies in Jacksonville who can give free rate quotes to get your business. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates AND a local agent. If you need to compare prices from a specific company, you would need to visit that company's website and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good insurer should depend on more than just a low price. A good agent in Jacksonville will have answers to these questions.
- Where would glass claims be handled in Jacksonville?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Who are their largest clients?
- How long has their agency been in business in Jacksonville?
Insurance coverage options for an Acura RLX
Understanding the coverages of a insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are the usual coverages found on most insurance policies.
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like a broken windshield, damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a deer and rock chips in glass. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for collisions
This will pay to fix damage to your RLX resulting from a collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, rolling your car, hitting a mailbox and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible on your RLX to save money on collision insurance.
Auto liability insurance
Liability coverage can cover damage or injury you incur to other's property or people. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 10/20/10 which stand for a limit of $10,000 per injured person, a limit of $20,000 in injury protection per accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for things such as emergency aid, structural damage and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. Florida state law requires minimum liability limits of 10/20/10 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Medical expense coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for immediate expenses for chiropractic care, ambulance fees, EMT expenses and funeral costs. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover both the driver and occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Acura RLX.
Due to the fact that many Florida drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Florida limits are 10/20/10), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea. Frequently these limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Cover all your bases
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, someone dropped liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Affordable Acura RLX insurance in Jacksonville is possible from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Jacksonville agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies don't offer price quotes online and these smaller companies prefer to sell through local independent agents.
To read more, take a look at these articles:
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Welfare Recipients in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a GMC Sierra in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in Jacksonville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Jacksonville Car Insurance for Nurses? (FAQ)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)